NOLS Leadership Trips
Overview & History
Dudley has offered leadership-based, extended wilderness trips for over 7 years. These trips are designed for our leaders in training, and take place in both summer and winter. In 2008, this branch of the Camp program was dubbed the Boys’ Camping Society after Camp Dudley’s original name. As Dudley and the BCS continued to evolve over time, we’ve found ourselves ready to take the adventure to the next level. In the past, our trips have ventured into the Adirondacks, White Mountains, The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, the Maine Coast and even to northeastern Ontario.
In 2012, we partnered with NOLS, one of the oldest and most prestigious outdoor leadership schools in the country, to create an even bigger and better wilderness trips for our young leaders.
About the Trips
The focus for these trips is on leadership development, in small groups, in a wilderness setting. In addition, trips maintain a firm grasp on Dudley & Kiniya’s roots, staff and leadership, and traditions. “The Other Fellow First”, our Camp Motto, remains part of an ongoing conversations. While on the trail, we do Vespers and Sunday Talks, and relate much of what we learn back to leadership at Camp. We maintain Camp continuity by balancing our 4 Dudley pillars in our daily activities, Athletics, the Arts, the Outdoors, and Spirituality.
See more trip photos and get excited for next summer’s adventures out west.
We are excited to again be offering the Dudley and Kiniya NOLS Leadership Trip for the upcoming summer of 2016. Find a full trip description of our trip on the NOLS website.
Trip dates coincide with the regular camp session dates. The cost of the NOLS program is the same as a single session at camp ($5250) and includes airfare. Scholarships are available for qualified candidates. If you have questions regarding the 2016 trip please contact the Dudley office at (518) 962-4720 or email our Leadership Development Director, Evan George, at [email protected].
Dates and application guidelines are current for the upcoming 2016 summer trips.
Trip Names & Sessions
We are sending a total of 4 trips this summer, 3 during the first session and 1 during the second session.
- NOLS 1 : All girls, first session
- NOLS 2 : All boys, first session
- NOLS 3 : Co-ed, first session
- NOLS 4 : All boys, second session
Important Dates and Required Forms
For NOLS1, NOLS2, NOLS3, & NOLS4
by April 1
- 1st tuition payment or a completed Installment Agreement
- $100 NOLS equipment rental deposit, payable with a separate check made out to Camp Dudley (please note “NOLS Equipment Deposit” on check).
by May 1
- 2nd tuition payment
- The “Course Code” is CDLE 6/27/16
- Completed NOLS ONLINE Application (NOLS Application-submit online, Student Agreement, Insurance Form, NOLS Health Form*-MUST BE SENT to Camp Dudley)
- Signed Dudley-Kiniya Waiver
- Completed Dudley or Kiniya Travel Plan Form (available on your 1885 Online Account)
- $75 for the Dudley/ NOLS “Marmot Stride” jacket for girls, and Marmot “DriClime” for boys. The purchase of this item is optional but encouraged as it suffices for two required packing items. Purchase can be made with a separate check made out to Camp Dudley (Note “NOLS jacket” on check).
*This requires a physical by a doctor. It may require you to get one before the annual date of coverage by insurance. Unfortunately it is a strict requirement of NOLS. Please plan for the appointment well in advance as NOLS must have these health forms ASAP.
Please note that for those of you participating in NOLS one session and Dudley or Kiniya for the other session the NOLS Health Form covers the health form requirement.
First Session Dates
- June 28, 2016: NOLS 1 and NOLS 3 GIRLS arrive at Kiniya Opening Day between 9:00AM and 1:00AM; NOLS 2 and NOLS 3 BOYS arrive at Dudley Opening Day between 8:00AM and 1:00PM
- July 22, 2016: NOLS 1 & NOLS 3 GIRLS Kiniya Parents Day
- July 23, 2016: NOLS 1 & NOLS 3 GIRLS pick up at Kiniya campus 9:00AM-10:30AM; NOLS 2 and NOLS 3 BOYS Dudley Parents’ Day from 2:00PM until 9:00PM
- July 24, 2016: NOLS 2 and NOLS 3 BOYS Pick Up after Chapel on Dudley campus
Please note the we anticipate the 1st Session NOLS groups to arrive back at the their respective campuses late on the night of July 21st. If it works better for your schedule, pick-up can be arranged for anytime after the NOLS participants arrive back in Westport or Colchester.
- July 26, 2016: NOLS 4 arrives at Camp Dudley Opening Day between 8:00AM and 1:00PM
- August 20, 2016: NOLS 4, 2nd Session, and Full Season Dudley Parents’ Day from 2:00PM until 9:00PM
- August 21, 2016: NOLS 4 Pick Up after Chapel on Dudley campus
Please note the we anticipate the 1st Session NOLS groups to arrive back at the their respective campuses late on the night of August 18th. If it works better for your schedule, pick-up can be arranged for anytime after the NOLS participants arrive back in Westport.
Packing for the Trip
Gathering all of the necessary gear for this adventure takes some time!
Check out the NOLS Equipment List , and begin to see which items you already have, which items you’ll need, and how you might acquire those items (buy, borrow from a friend, rent or buy from NOLS).
Please feel free to email for further information and questions on gear.