NOLS Leadership Trips
Overview & History
Dudley has offered leadership-based, extended wilderness trips for over 7 years. These trips are designed for our leaders in training, and take place in both summer and winter. In 2008, this branch of the Camp program was dubbed the Boys’ Camping Society after Camp Dudley’s original name. As Dudley and the BCS continued to evolve over time, we’ve found ourselves ready to take the adventure to the next level. In the past, our trips have ventured into the Adirondacks, White Mountains, The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, the Maine Coast and even to northeastern Ontario.
In 2012, we partnered with NOLS, one of the oldest and most prestigious outdoor leadership schools in the country, to create an even bigger and better wilderness trips for our young leaders.
About the Trips
The focus for these trips is on leadership development, in small groups, in a wilderness setting. In addition, trips maintain a firm grasp on Dudley & Kiniya’s roots, staff and leadership, and traditions. “The Other Fellow First”, our Camp Motto, remains part of an ongoing conversations. While on the trail, we do Vespers and Sunday Talks, and relate much of what we learn back to leadership at Camp. We maintain Camp continuity by balancing our 4 Dudley pillars in our daily activities, Athletics, the Arts, the Outdoors, and Spirituality.
See more trip photos and get excited for next summer’s adventures out west.
We are excited to again be offering the Dudley and Kiniya NOLS Leadership Trip for the upcoming summer. Find a full trip description of our trip on the NOLS website.
Trip dates coincide with the regular camp session dates. The cost of the NOLS program is the same as a single session at camp (see our Dates & Rates) and includes airfare. Scholarships are available for qualified candidates.
Important Dates & Info
2018 NOLS Expeditions
We have a total of 4 Dudley/Kiniya NOLS Leadership Expeditions going to Wyoming this summer.
- NOLS 1-Girls (6/26 – 7/21)
- NOLS 1-Boys (6/26 – 7/21)
- NOLS 2-Girls (7/24 – 8/18)
- NOLS 2-Boys (7/24 – 8/18)
How to Apply
- Submit a Handwritten Letter of Interest – Include why you want to do this program, what you might hope to get out of it, what you think you bring to it. Due 12/1/17. Once we receive your letter we’ll send you an email to get started with your application.
- Complete Dudley/Kiniya Application– Due by 1/1/18.
- NOLS Portal Access and Enrollment – Link shared once camper is accepted into program. All further paperwork will be done through this portal. Due April 1st.
by April 1
- $100 check for NOLS Jacket (Womens, Mens). The purchase of this item is optional but encouraged as it suffices for two required packing items (please note “NOLS jacket” and size on check).
- 1st tuition payment or a completed Installment Agreement.
by May 1
- 2nd tuition payment.
- Completed NOLS Enrollment Paperwork, accessed through portal sent with acceptance email.
- Signed Dudley-Kiniya Waiver.
- Completed Dudley/Kiniya Travel Plan Form (not yet available).
- June 26, 2018 OPENING DAY: NOLS 1-GIRLS arrive at Kiniya between 9am and 1:00pm; NOLS 1-BOYS arrive at Dudley between 8:00am and 1:00am.
- July 20, 2018 KINIYA FAMILY DAY: NOLS 1-GIRLS Kiniya Parents Day 3pm-8pm.
- July 21, 2018 DUDLEY FAMILY DAY: NOLS 1-GIRLS pick up at Kiniya 9:00am-10:30am; NOLS 1-BOYS Dudley Parents’ Day from 2:00am until 9:00pm.
- July 22, 2018: NOLS 1-BOYS Pick Up after Chapel on Dudley campus.
Note: The boys can be picked up anytime after their arrival back on campus, which will be late on Thursday, July 19.
- July 24, 2018 OPENING DAY: NOLS 2-Girls arrives at Kiniya between 9am and 1:00pm; NOLS 2-BOYS arrive at Camp Dudley Opening Day between 8:00am and 1:00pm.
- August 17, 2018 KINIYA FAMILY DAY: NOLS 2-Girls Kiniya Parents Day, 3pm-8pm.
- August 18, 2018 DUDLEY FAMILY DAY: NOLS 2-GIRLS pick up at Kiniya 9:00am-10:30am; NOLS 2-BOYS Dudley Parents’ Day from 2:00am until 9:00pm.
- August 19, 2018: NOLS 2-BOYS Pick Up after Chapel on Dudley campus.
Note: The boys can be picked up anytime after their arrival back on campus, which will be late on Thursday, August 16.
Packing for Expeditions
Check out NOLS Packing List here. Note what you already have, which items you’ll need, and how you might acquire those items (borrow from a friend, rent or buy from NOLS).