The Arts is one of the 4 pillars of the Dudley Program (along with Athletics, the Outdoors, and Spirituality). Primarily, the boys gain experience in the Arts through the Arts Majors Program, The Saturday Night Show, and the Wednesday Night Show. Dramatics and Music have been an integral part of Camp Dudley since it’s earliest days. In fact, our first full length production was in 1907!
The dramatics portion of our program is housed in Witherbee Hall – our nearly 500 seat theater built in 1925. The arts and crafts portion of our program takes place in the Brodie Arts & Crafts Building with dramatic views of Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains.
As with Team Majors and Individual Majors, the boys also choose an Arts Major at the start of the session. Twice a week, the boys will attend their Arts Major for instruction from our Arts Staff. The boys choose from…
in Witherbee Hall
- Drama: instruction in acting for stage, camera, and radio
- Stage Tech: learn about set-design, lighting, sound, and stage management
- Music: instruction in singing or for whatever instrument you bring to camp. Generally leads to a performance in the Evening of Music at the end of each session
in Brodie Arts & Crafts Building
- Pottery: instruction in both slab clay and pottery wheels
- Printmaking: explore various printmaking techniques
- Drawing & Painting: capture the beauty of the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain through different drawing and painting media
additional Arts Majors include
- The Dudley Doings: Camps’ weekly newspaper published by the campers since 1904.
- Photography: learn about various photography techniques and capture photos for the Last Whistle using our digital cameras
- Videography: create and edit fun videos for the Wednesday Night Show
- Farm to Table: learn about gardening in the Dudley Garden, visit a local farm (Juniper Hill and DaCy Meadows), and learn how to cook our delicious homegrown fruits and veggies
Saturday Night Shows
Every Saturday in Witherbee Hall campers, Leaders, and Staff present a dramatic production…plays, musicals, or the end of session review called The Evening of Music. The show is always opened by the world famous Rhythm Ramblers, our long standing camp jazz band.
Want to see some of our recent productions? Check out the Dudley & Kiniya Youtube Channel.
Wednesday Night Shows
Another long-time tradition in Witherbee Hall, Wednesday Night Shows feature funny skits, talent acts, musical acts, and the always entertaining Leaders Serial Theater production.