To the Dudley Family,
In an effort to keep the Dudley community better informed as to what is going on at Camp Dudley when the kids aren’t here, we are pleased to provide the following update coming out of the most recent Board of Managers meeting in May. We hope you find this informative, and will endeavor to update this page quarterly, after each meeting.
- Both camps are full, and leaders, staff and campers alike are psyched for a great 2010 season.
- Matt and Jess Storey are moving their family into the Director’s house in the coming weeks, and Matt is excited and ready to go for his inaugural season as Director in Westport.
- Andy is similarly energized to continue in his Executive Director role the coming year and ready to provide support to both Matt in Westport and Marnie at Kiniya, while also picking up the development role from John Storey.
- Marnie, Lisa Barnes and a well seasoned staff are ready for the largest ever contingent at Kiniya, while Davo and Mike Schloat will be working with Matt and the summer leadership to deliver a “best ever” summer in Westport.
- Financially speaking, Camp Dudley YMCA is in good shape. The Endowment is back up to $6.2 million despite the current market challenges, and our day-to-day finances are strong. The demand for scholarship dollars has been greater than ever this year (totaling $700K). The continued generosity of the Dudley Family supports this need through our annual William J. Schmidt Scholarship fund, making extraordinary summers available to so many deserving boys and girls. Thank you!
- We are very pleased to convey that Fred Guffey has agreed to serve as interim Business Manager as Matt takes on the Westport Director role. Fred draws on 12 years experience of managing all the Dudley facilities and is excited to continue his great work for Dudley.
Work projects are continuing through the spring and both camps should be noticeably improved in time for the 2010 season. Among the projects:
- The new boathouse dock is in and looks great;
- The rifle range is being revamped to be safer for both the environment and campers.
- Two new cabins are being completed and will be ready for occupancy in June;
- The dining hall has a new roof and access ramp;
- Access to the Senior Beach swim area is in the process of being improved!
The Board and senior leadership are very excited about the experience and energy that will be on the field this summer at both camps. We look forward to welcoming children, parents and staff for the coming summer very shortly!
On behalf of the Board of Managers,
Dwight M. Poler, #11889
PS: We welcome any inputs you believe should reach the Board of Managers. Please send these to [email protected] Significant issues will be raised at the following meeting, and responses conveyed as appropriate.