Overview & History
Dudley has offered leadership-based, extended wilderness trips for over 5 years. These trips are designed for our leaders in training, and take place in both summer and winter. In 2008, this branch of the Camp program was dubbed the Boys’ Camping Society after Camp Dudley’s original name. As Dudley and the BCS continued to evolve over time, we’ve found ourselves ready to take the adventure to the next level. In the past, our trips have ventured into the Adirondacks, White Mountains, The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, the Maine Coast and even to northeastern Ontario.
In 2012, we partnered with NOLS, one of the oldest and most prestigious outdoor leadership schools in the country, to create an even bigger and better wilderness trips for our young leaders.
About the Trips
The focus for these trips is on leadership development, in small groups, in a wilderness setting. In addition, trips maintain a firm grasp on Dudley & Kiniya’s roots, staff and leadership, and traditions. “The Other Fellow First”, our Camp Motto, remains part of an ongoing conversations. While on the trail, we do Vespers and Sunday Talks, and relate much of what we learn back to leadership at Camp. We maintain Camp continuity by balancing our 4 Dudley pillars in our daily activities, Athletics, the Arts, the Outdoors, and Spirituality.
We are excited to again be offering the Dudley and Kiniya NOLS Leadership Trip for the upcoming summer of 2014. Find a full trip description of our trip on the NOLS website.
Trip dates coincide with the regular camp session dates. The cost of the NOLS program is the same as a single session at camp ($4950) and includes airfare. Scholarships are available for qualified candidates. If you are interested in applying for a 2014 trip, see below for details or email Dudley Outdoor Program Director Scott Steen at email@example.com or Kiniya Outdoor Education Director Mollie Farnham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates and application guidelines are current for the upcoming 2014 summer trips.
Trip Names & Sessions
We are running a total of 4 trips this summer, 3 during the first session and one during the second session.
- NOLS 1 : All girls, first session
- NOLS 2 : All boys, first session
- NOLS 3 : All boys , first session
- NOLS 4 : All boys, second session
Important Dates and Required Forms
by April 1
- 1st tuition payment or a completed Installment Agreement
- $100 NOLS equipment deposit, which is payable with a separate check made out to Camp Dudley.
by May 1:
- 2nd tuition payment
by May 1 for NOLS1, NOLS2 and NOLS3, OR by May 26 for NOLS4:
- Completed First Session NOLS Application Packet OR completed Second Session NOLS Application Packet (NOLS Application, Student Agreement, Insurance Form, *Health Form).
- Leave the “Application ID” blank
- The “Course Code” is CDLE 6/26/14 for NOLS1, NOLS2, NOLS3, and is CDLE 7/24/14 for NOLS4
- Signed Dudley-Kiniya Waiver
- $75 for the Dudley/ NOLS “Marmot Stride” jacket for girls, and Marmot “DriClime” for boys. The purchase of this item is optional but encouraged. This jacket suffices for two required packing items. Purchase can be made with a separate check made out to Camp Dudley. See above photo as well.
* Please note that for those of you participating in NOLS one session and Dudley or Kiniya for the other session the NOLS Health Form covers the health form requirement for both programs.
- June 24, 2014: NOLS 1 arrives at Kiniya Opening Day between 9:00AM and 1:00pm; NOLS 2 and 3 arrive at Dudley Opening Day between 8:00AM and 1:00PM,
- July 19, 2014: NOLS 1 pick up at Kiniya campus
- July 19, 2014: 1st Session Dudley Parents’ Day (includes NOLS 2 and 3 Parents), from 2:00 PM until 9:00PM
- July 20, 2014: NOLS 2 and 3 Pick Up after Chapel on Dudley campus
- July 22, 2014: NOLS 4 arrives at Camp Dudley Opening Day between 8:00AM and 1:00PM
- August 16, 2014: 2nd Session and Full Season Dudley Parents’ Day (includes NOLS 4 Parents), from 2:00PM until 9:00PM
- August 17, 2014: NOLS 4 Pick Up after Chapel on Dudley campus
Packing for the Trip
Gathering all of the necessary gear for this adventure takes some time.
Step 1 is to check out the 2014 packing guidance tool. This outlines which items from the NOLS packing list can be borrow from Dudley, has information on the Marmot Stride, and on the $100 deposit.
Step 2 is to check out the NOLS Equipment List, and begin to see which items you already have, which items you’ll need, and how you might acquire those items (buy, borrow from a friend, rent/buy from NOLS, borrow from Dudley). Learn more about NOLS and find a details course description and NOLS Equipment List on the NOLS Pro website.